WIP: Proposed changes to UCC constitution
Here are some suggested changes to the constitution to comply with the Associations Incorporation Act 2015.
Summary and rational for the changes:
- Update the reference to the Act to 2015 from 1987.
- The new Act contains a legislative requirement to clearly define when a person becomes and ceases to be a member of a Club.
- Currently, Fresher Rep and OCMs must be members of the club, yet the same requirement is not written into the clause covering the Executive.
- Also, require people to have been a member for at least 6 months before being elected as exec, which can provide some amount of confidence that newly elected exec know something about how the club works.
- We are no longer obliged by the Act to carry a common seal, and can remove section 14 of the constitution completely. We were forced to add it when we incorporated and didn’t particularly need or want it. - [BOB]
- Clarify that conditions for payments to members of the club also apply to payments to committee members (possibly redundant, with above changes?)
- Note that conditions regarding payments to committee members are specifically required by the Act
Please comment on the changes below to provide feedback.